Join Nurturely and The Black Doula and local and national guest speakers for a 6-week virtual series tackling systemic racism within pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and infant health. This workshop series is for physicians, midwives, nurses, doulas, lactation consultants, insurance providers, case managers, Traditional Health Workers, mental health professionals, home visitors, and anyone who works with birthing people and infants in a physical or psychological care system. Primary topics of focus will be 1) Anti-Racism: what it is and how it can be achieved in a perinatal care setting, and 2) Advocacy: how care providers can be advocates for BIPOC patients at the personal and systemic levels.
hours minutes seconds
Racism in Perinatal & Pediatric Health
- Discuss the meaning and effects of racism and privilege in perinatal and pediatric work
- Discuss white silence, white allies and moving into being an accomplice⠀
- Learn the definition of health professional privilege and the role it plays in our current birth and pediatric environments
- Discuss how racism plays a role in perinatal health disparities, such as the black maternal health crisis and black infant health disparities
- Learn useful and tangible tools/processes, such as The CARE Method, to redirect privilege and decrease racism⠀
- Identify opportunities for advocacy and how we advocate for birthing people
- Understand the importance of advocacy, especially for marginalized communities⠀
- Recognize privilege and the way it has affected health care during pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and pediatrics⠀
- Practice how to apply learning to participant’s personal & professional life moving forward to create better access and experiences for everyone
About the Facilitator: Sabia Wade, “The Black Doula,” is a Radical Doula, Educator, Coach, Advocate & the founder of For The Village and Birthing Advocacy Doula Trainings. She brings inclusive, accessible and full spectrum education and resources to all individuals and organizations ready to take the next step in creating a world of inclusion, justice and equity to birthing people all over the world.
Nurturely (nurturely.org) is an Oregon-based nonprofit organization committed to lactation equity and removing barriers to perinatal wellness for all birthing people.